How to Join the Program
Come to a free orientation
At this orientation, you will learn about our successful weight loss program and have all your questions answered. Please note that you need to call 501-603-1497 to schedule an appointment to attend orientation at UAMS. We are conveniently located in central Little Rock.
Screening evaluation at UAMS
This screening includes:
- A review of your medical history
- A check of your vital signs
- A review of the program
- A discussion of your individual needs
Coordination with your primary care physician
Some medical issues may need to be coordinated with your primary care physician. UAMS needs to know how to contact your doctor, and we will give you a form that helps facilitate communication. We will discuss this with you at the screening evaluation, but we encourage you to discuss your weight loss efforts with your doctor. But don't be concerned if you do not have a doctor because we will help you find one.
Testing and physical exam
- To begin, you will have a physical exam and review of your medical history by a UAMS program physician.
- If you choose to join our program, you will have laboratory tests completed through the Program For Weight Loss And Metabolic Control at UAMS. Your blood will be drawn at the outpatient center. Then you will have an appointment with a member of our medical staff prior to starting the program.
- An electrocardiogram (EKG) will only be needed if your private doctor or UAMS weight control doctor feels it is necessary.
Program frequently asked questions