I’ve written papers with co-authors in several academic centers across the United States along with collaborators in France, Brazil, Finland, Australia, and Spain, in the areas of psychiatric epidemiology. I believe different cultures have much to learn from each other, especially in an area like mental health. I would like to represent the department of psychiatry and the University of Arkansas for the Medical Sciences, as a point person for collaborations regarding epidemiological mental health research.
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2002
University: Doctor of Philosophy in Psychiatric Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2004.
University: Master of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2004
University: M.D. DEGREE: Federal University of Ceara (Brazil), 1996
Epidemiological Mental Health
1. Souza FGM, Souza VBN, Damasceno AVP, Chaves LP, Messias ELM. Clinical and demographic variables associated with psychiatric hospitalization. Journal of the Brazilian Psychiatric Association Revista ABP-APAL 16: 171-176, 1994
2. Graca JVR, Gondim FAA, Cavalcante DIM, Xavier Neto J, Messias ELM, Rego MCV, Marques JAP, Santos AAS, Rola FH. Gastrointestinal resistance and neural mechanisms involved in saline flow decrease elicited by acute blood volume expansion in anesthetized rats. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 30:1257-1266, 1997
3. Messias ELM, Cordeiro NF, Sampaio JJC, Kirkpatrick B. Epidemiology of schizophrenia in northeast Brazil. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 188: 118-120, 2000
4. Messias ELM, Skotzko C. Psychiatric assessment in transplantation. Revista de Saúde Pública 34: 415-420, 2000
5. Messias ELM, Kirkpatrick B, Ram R, Tien A. Suspiciousness as a specific risk factor for major depressive episodes in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 47:159-165, 2001
6. Messias ELM, Cordeiro NF, Sampaio JJC, Kirkpatrick B. Schizophrenia and season of birth in a tropical region: relationship to rainfall. Schizophrenia Research 48:227-234, 2001
7. Messias ELM, Kirkpatrick B. Subclinical suspiciousness as a risk factor for depressive episodes. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 103: 262-266, 2001
8. Messias ELM, Kirkpatrick B.: Summer birth and the deficit syndrome of schizophrenia. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 189: 608-612, 2001
9. Messias ELM, Tek C, Kirkpatrick B: Substance abuse and the heterogeneity of schizophrenia: a population-based study. Schizophrenia Research, 2003 Aug 1; 62(3): 293-294.
10. Messias ELM & Bienvenu J: Suspiciousness and alcohol abuse in schizophrenia: a cross sectional population-based study. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2003 Jun; 191 (6): 387-390.
11. Messias ELM: Income Inequality, Illiteracy rate and life expectancy in Brazil. American Journal of Public Health, 2003 Aug; 93(8): 1294-1296.
12. Messias E, Kirkpatrick B, Bromet E, Ross D, Buchanan RW, Carpenter Jr. WT, Tek C, Kendler KS, Walsh: Summer birth and deficit schizophrenia: a pooled analysis from six countries. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004 Oct; 61 (10): 985-989
13. Szekely C, Thorne JE, Zandi PP, Ek M, Messias E, Breitner JCS, Goodman SN: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the prevention of alzheimer’s disease? A qualitative and quantitative review Neuroepidemiology. 2004 Jul-Aug;23(4):159-169.
14. Sokal J, Messias E, Dickerson F, Kreyenbuhl J, Brown C, Goldberg R, Dixon L: Co-morbidity of medical illnesses among adults with serious mental illness who are receiving community psychiatric services J Nerv Ment Dis. 2004 Jun;192(6):421-427
15. Dixon LB, Kreyenbuhl JA, Dickerson FB, Donner TW, Brown CH, Wohlheiter K, Postrado L, Goldberg RW, Fang L, Marano C, Messias E: A Comparison of Type 2 Diabetes outcomes among persons with and without severe mental illnesses Psychiatr Serv. 2004 Aug; 55(8):892-900
16. Messias E, Bienvenu JO, Samuels J, Nestadt G, Eaton W: Psychiatrists’ ascertained treatment needs for mental disorders in a population-based sample. Psychiatric Services 2007 Mar 58 (3): 373-377
17. Messias E, Mourao C, Maia JS, Campos JPQM, Ribeiro KG, Ribeiro LA, Kirkpatrick B: Season of birth and schizophrenia in Northeast Brazil: relationship to rainfall. J Nerv Ment Dis 194(11):870-3, 2006 Nov
18. Fernandes CR, Souza Filho LM, Gomes JMA, Messias E, Escalente RD: Consequences of the addition of nitrous oxide to anesthesia during pneumoperitoneum in videolaparoscopic surgeries. Rev Bras Anest; 57 (1) 2007
19. Messias EL, Chen CY, Eaton WW. Epidemiology of schizophrenia: review of findings and myths. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 30(3):323-38, 2007 Sep.
20. Kirkpatrick B, Messias E, Harvey PD, Fernandez-Egea E, Bowie CR: Is schizophrenia a syndrome of accelerated aging? Schizophr Bull. 2007 Dec 21 [Epub ahead of print]
21. Kirkpatrick B, Messias E, LaPorte D: Summer birth and deficit features in the general population: Schizophrenia Research In press
22. Clarke DE, Goodwin RD, Messias ELM, Eaton WW: Asthma and suicidal ideation with and without suicide attempts among adults in the United States: what is the role of cigarette smoking and mental disorders? Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 100:439-446, 2008.
Disclaimer: This listing may not include all articles associated with this physician or scientist